Now that you’ve learned about the problems you could have in your basement, how they got there, and why you should rid your home of them, you’re probably ready to get some repair projects started. But proceed with caution. No matter how handy you and your friends may be, wet basement repair is serious work that is not meant to be a do-it-yourself weekend project.
Sure, you could apply something like a paint or sealant to your basement walls, but odds are that’s not going to cut it. These materials might work in the short-term, but they are not permanent solutions. They can pop and flake, indicating lingering, underlying problems with water and moisture. And, because water follows the path of least resistance, it will still find a way inside even if you’ve “sealed off” a point of intrusion.
Don’t waste your time and money on quick, temporary fixes. Fix the problem the right way the first time with the help of a professional contractor that can provide more reliable products.
You’ve probably heard stories from people who had less than stellar experiences with contractors who didn’t finish the job, left a mess, or installed shoddy products. It’s understandable that you’d be wary of working with a contractor yourself, but don’t let a bad apple here and there completely influence your decision. Especially nowadays, it’s hard to know who to trust. But there are reliable people out there who are ready to help you.
Know You’re Hiring the Right Contractor
There’s a lot to think about when choosing a basement waterproofing contractor such as the company’s integrity and track record, and how the employees carry themselves. So, it’s up to you to do your homework.
Here are 10 tips for selecting a reputable contractor, courtesy of Popular Mechanics:
- Go with Your Gut. The contractor will be in and around your home, so trust your instinct about his or her character.
- Make Sure the Contractor is Bonded, Insured, and Licensed to Work in Your Area. Carrying the proper licensing and insurance indicates credibility, knowledge, and trustworthiness.
- Pick a Contractor Who Specializes in Your Project Type. Experience through research, training, and hands-on work in the field matters.
- Have a Detailed Contract in Place Before Any Work Begins. Having detailed plans and everything in writing spells out expectations.
- Find Out Who Will Be Performing the Work. Knowing exactly who will be coming to your home will give you peace of mind.
- Give the Contractor Guidelines for Working In/Around Your Home. Let the company know of your preferences including arrival times and any off-limit areas of your property.
- Know What Your Responsibilities Are. If you need to move anything out of the way or need to plan for pet accommodations, it’s best to get that out of the way before the project starts.
- Ask About a Mechanic’s Lien. Check on the contractor’s legal status before signing anything.
- Look at Work Samples. This will allow you to see the quality of the work and maybe even give you some ideas for your own project.
- Think Locally. Support the local companies that have been in business and in the community for a long time.
We at Innovative Basement Authority are proud to meet and exceed expectations on these points. We encourage you to read on to learn more about us, as well as look at reviews from actual customers to learn about their experiences with us!
How Innovative Basement Authority Can Help You
We know it can be daunting and intimidating hiring a contractor and working with someone you don’t know. But rest assured that you will be in good hands with our company. Our entire team is dedicated to you, your family, and your home. You are our No. 1 priority. While ensuring your home’s health and safety, we want your experience with us to be like none you’ve ever had with another company. Read on to learn more about what you can expect when working with us.
When you contact us for a free inspection and estimate, we’ll schedule an appointment for you to meet with one of our certified field inspectors. It’s important for the inspector to physically visit your house in order to get a better idea what’s going on so he can recommend the best repair solutions.
During this appointment, the inspector will thoroughly evaluate the inside and outside of your home, checking for things like damage, sources of leaks, and wall cracks. As he discusses his findings with you, the inspector also will ask what your repair goals are. He will then provide you with a proposal with solutions customized to your specific repair needs. The inspector also will take your budget into consideration and discuss payment and financing options.
Let the proposal sink in and don’t be afraid to contact your inspector with follow-up questions. Then, when you’re ready to sign the contract with the inspector and have the project(s) done, we will schedule the work with one of our experienced installation crews. The crew will treat your home as your own, with complete respect and care as they install reliable products to protect your home. Even if something comes up during the process, we will take care of it. Our team works until the job is done right and you are 100% satisfied. We also offer service and maintenance opportunities to ensure the systems we installed continue to operate at a high level to protect your home.
Custom Solutions for A Dry Basement
We only use the very best products, tested and proven to protect your home and keep it dry. Manufactured right here in the United States, they are designed to work together to provide complete basement protection and give you the most bang for your buck. Our basement consultants work with you to design the best basement waterproofing system to fit for your home’s unique needs.
Here are the solutions:
The expert team at Innovative Basement Authority is eager to help you create a safer and healthier living environment!