A wet or leaky basement is a nightmare for many people. Not only does it encourage mold growth, but it will also reduce the value of your home. Waterproofing is your best bet against cold, damp, and musty basements.
As a homeowner, it is crucial that you invest in basement waterproofing to prevent such moisture issues. But before you start waterproofing, it is just as important to create a budget to cover your project costs.
Basement Waterproofing Budget
Understanding what affects the cost of basement waterproofing can help you control the budget. On average, the cost to waterproof a basement in Rush City, MN, can range anywhere from $3,000 to more than $20,000, depending on the type of waterproofing method you opt for. The cost can vary significantly depending on some factors such as the size of the basement and extent of the moisture problem.
Interior Waterproofing Costs
Waterproofing the interior part of your basement is the first step in protecting your home. This process entails the following:
- Dehumidification -— It’s the answer to your persistent moisture issues that cause condensation on walls. A quality, commercial-grade dehumidifier capable of handing a basement-sized space can cost anywhere between $1,000 and $1,500.
- Foundation Crack Repairs -— Cracks in your foundation allow water to seep into your basement. A wall crack repair system can help seal the cracks and stop leaks. Repairs could cost from $750 to $1,200.
- Sump Pump Installation -— If your basement is at risk of flooding, you’ll have to install a sump pump to remove any water that enters the basement and help to control groundwater. A sump pump may set you back $1,000-$2,500, depending on the model.
- Interior French Drains — These drains help prevent flooding by collecting seeping water and directing it to a sump pump system. The cost of installing a 50-foot French drain is between $3,000-$4,000.
- Crawl Space Barrier — The cost of sealing and waterproofing your crawl space could range from $5,000 to more than $15,000, depending on the size of the crawl space, its overall condition, and the type of insulation you use. The vapor barrier used in crawl spaces also can be used on your basement walls to help improve their appearance and assist with waterproofing.
- Minor Repairs — Small fixes and improvements will cost you anywhere from $500-$2,000.
Exterior Waterproofing Costs
Once you’re through with planning for the interior, switch to the exterior. Here’s a breakdown of the costs.
- Excavation — Your contractor may excavate the area surrounding your basement wall and install an exterior drain or waterproofing membrane. Expect to pay $10,000 or more, depending on the depth and accessibility of the foundation.
- Downspouts — Installing downspout pipes is an important part of basement waterproofing as it helps to direct all water from your roof away from your foundation and basement. Installing this type of exterior drainage system can cost you between $750 and $1,550.
- Water Damage Repairs — A basement must be in good condition for exterior waterproofing to be effective. Typical repairs can cost between $2,500 and $10,000.
- Exterior French Drainage — These drains keep water away from your house and your basement. Installing exterior drains may cost you $4,000 to $6,000. This price does not include any needed repairs to your landscaping after installation.
- Window Well Drain — Installing well drains around your windows also provides an effective way of keeping water out of your basement. Estimated costs range from $1,000 to $1,500.
- Sealing a Basement -— Sealing prevents water from the soil seeping into your basement. The cost of sealing a basement is between $3,500 and $5,000, not including the cost of excavation.
Some basement contractors in Rush City, MN, charge a fixed amount for the whole project, while others charge per linear foot. Overall, the average cost for labor is between $1,500 and $3,500. Good contractors should back up their work with a labor warranty for at least 10 to 25 years.
While waterproofing your basement can be an expensive undertaking, preventing damage now can save you money and the agony of persistent moisture in the long run.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to the professionals at Innovative Basement Authority on the best way to move forward with waterproofing projects. We shall carry out a free basement waterproofing inspection and supply you with a fair repair quote.