With all the late snow we got in Minnesota and North Dakota this year – followed by rapid melting – you may be one of the many homeowners who experience basement or crawl space flooding this spring. And if you’re one of those homeowners – whether you’ve already experienced flooding or you’re just anticipating it – you’ll need to know what you can do to recover from your basement flood. So how do you recover from a basement flood? Here’s what we recommend:
- Call a basement waterproofing expert. Not all basement waterproofers are created equal. As a waterproofing expert that has been in business since 2004, Innovative Basement Authority has waterproofed countless basements across Minnesota and North Dakota. We’re confident that we have the knowledge and superior products to dry your basement for the long haul.When you call Innovative, we’ll send a specialist out to take a look at your home and provide a free estimate customized to fix your problem the right way. We understand that not every home needs the same solution, so we’re willing to work with you and your home to figure out which of our products best suit your needs.
- Dry the basement. This step is a no-brainer. If you have a wet basement, you need to dry it. This means draining the water of course, but it also means removing all of the water-damaged items from the space. When the books, cardboard boxes, clothes, upholstered furniture, and other items you’ve been storing in your basement get wet, your basement becomes vulnerable to the spread of mold. It can spread to the other organic materials in your basement, including floor joists and other structural elements. The spread of mold can also cause some serious problems for the air quality in your living space – another great reason to avoid it.While some water damaged items might be salvageable, much of it probably isn’t. The best thing to do is get rid of anything beyond repair and waterproof your basement to avoid being in the same situation in the future.
- Install a quality basement drainage system. If you’re determined to have a dry basement, you’ll need a top-of-the-line basement drainage system like BasementGutter. BasementGutter is installed around the perimeter of your basement floor. It collects water from your walls and directs them toward a sump pump. With expert installation of a quality product like BasementGutter, you’ll finally be able to rest assured that your basement will remain dry in the next flood season.
- Get a good sump pump. That sump pump we mentioned above? Make sure it’s a SafeDri Pro. Equipped with a alarm, a SafeDri Pro pump will alert you if anything goes wrong with the pump. This means that in the future you’ll have plenty of time to stop a flood before it happens – instead of continuing to rebuild again and again like you’ve been doing.With your SafeDri Pro, you can also get FreezeGuard discharge line protection. This is especially useful to Minnesota and North Dakota homeowners because in the spring when it tends to be warm one day and freezing the next, you won’t have to worry about your sump pump discharge line freezing right when you need it most.
- Address bigger issues. If your basement floods every year, there’s probably a reason for it. Maybe your foundation is heaving, causing cracks in the floor that let water come through. Maybe your walls are bowing inward, causing troublesome staircase cracks that allow water to enter. Or maybe your foundation is settling, that wide gap that forms around your foundation during droughts causing a moving foundation and allowing water in.Regardless of the cause, Innovative Basement Authority can figure it out! Along with basement waterproofing services, Innovative offers foundation repair to homeowners all over Minnesota and North Dakota. If your foundation is letting water in, we can fix both problems using our wall anchors, IntelliBrace wall braces, or helical, slab, and push pier systems. This saves you time – you won’t have to worry about dealing with multiple contractors at once, and you won’t have to worry that the job won’t get done correctly.
Your basement is an important part of your home. Moisture below impacts the living space above. It can cause the growth of mold, dust mites, and other critters that do nothing for the health of your home’s air. Innovative Basement Authority has been in the waterproofing business for years, and we have the knowledge and tools to dry your basement once and for all. Just call us or fill out our online form to schedule your free estimate today!